Kester Law Group is a team of Arizona DUI and criminal defense attorneys serving Phoenix, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Mesa, Peoria, Tempe, Chandler, Glendale, Prescott, Tucson, and Flagstaff in Maricopa, Yavapai, Coconino, and Pima counties. Our criminal defense attorneys formerly worked as prosecutors and have years of trial experience. We can help! Start a free DUI case evaluation now.
CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYERS FOR PHOENIX AND ARIZONA
At Kester Law Group we provide a vigorous defense. Whether charged with a misdemeanor or felony, we vigorously defend anyone charged with a crime. We believe in the presumption of innocence.
We thoroughly investigate each and every case and provide an aggressive defense. We fight for you to receive the protection of all your legal and constitutional rights. You are innocent until proven guilty.
Kester Law Group has former prosecutor(s) that know what to expect from the other side and the government. We know that being charged with any type of crime is a serious and stressful event which is why we offer free consultations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are known for our defense of all felonies and misdemeanors, including but not limited to:
- DUI/DWI charges including extreme and aggravated charges
- Drug crimes
- Sex crimes
- Child abuse allegations
- Assault crimes, including aggravated assault
- Gun and other weapons charges
- Domestic violence charges
- Vehicular homicide
ARIZONA AREAS SERVED BY KESTER LAW GROUP
Kester Law Group helps clients everywhere including Pima, Yavapai, Maricopa and Coconino counties including the areas of Scottsdale, Phoenix, Paradise Valley, Mesa, Tempe, Peoria, Glendale, Chandler, Tucson, Prescott, and Flagstaff. Call to speak to an attorney today!
DUI CHARGES AND DEFENSE
Arizona has very strict laws against driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI). In fact, the laws are some of the strictest in the U.S. If you are arrested and charged with a DUI or DWI, you need the immediate help of an experienced DUI/DWI attorney. An attorney that will see that all of your legal and constitutional rights are protected. An attorney that will challenge the veracity of every piece of the evidence against you. That is Kester Law Group! Call (480) 771-6000 for a no obligation, free, evaluation of your case and legal problems.
There are different DUI/DWI charges, all carrying different penalties. Often times a person may be overcharged by the state or government to force an individual into a plea. A conviction, yet alone an allegation, can have a permanent impact on your life. If convicted, you can spend time in jail or prison not to mention the large fines. Your employer may frown upon the conviction, you may lose your job, your license and find it difficult to find new employment. Your insurance rate will be increased for years.
POSSIBLE DUI/DWI CHARGES IN ARIZONA
- Misdemeanor DUI: For a standard DUI in Arizona, the minimum
jail term is 1 day.
- Extreme DUI: For an Extreme DUI conviction in Arizona, with BAC between 0.15% and 0.20%, the minimum jail term is 30 days.
- Super Extreme DUI: A Super Extreme DUI, with blood alcohol level 0.20% or more, requires a minimum jail term of 45 days.
- Aggravated DUI, Felony DUI: If you have no prior felony offenses, the maximum penalty for a class 6 felony is 2 years in the Arizona Department of Corrections. Prison. The incarceration time increases drastically if you have a prior felony convictions. If you have one prior felony, the maximum punishment is 7.5 years. If you have two or more prior felony convictions, the maximum penalty is15 years!
If you are arrested for a DUI, in addition to criminal charges being filed by the state, the MVD will take measures to suspend your license and impose penalties and fees. We can help you obtain a hearing and defend against the MVD.
Stopped on suspicion of DWI/DUI: Here are recommendations we have for how to respond to a traffic stop for suspicion of drunk driving.
POSSIBLE DEFENSES TO AN ARIZONA DUI CHARGE
Remember, you are innocent until proven guilty. You wear a cloak of innocence until the state proves that you violated the law.
Not everyone stopped or arrested for a DWI or DUI is guilty. There are defenses. Here are a few viable defenses to a charge of DWI/DUI.
- Fourth Amendment violation based on an improper stop
- Field sobriety tests not administered properly
- Breath test improperly administered
- Breath test resulted in a false positive
- Blood for BAC was not properly drawn
DRUG CRIME DEFENSE IN ARIZONA
The state of Arizona imposes severe penalties on anyone convicted of a drug offense including possession, possession with the intent to distribute, manufacturing and trafficking. Illegal drugs are classified as controlled substances and include cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, LSD and even marijuana. The charges and sentence, if convicted, depend on:
- The specific drug involved and whether it is a Schedule I or
Schedule II drug. [Some examples of Schedule I drugs are: heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote. Some examples of Schedule II drugs are: Combination products with less than 15 milligrams of hydrocodone per dosage unit (Vicodin), cocaine, methamphetamine, methadone, hydromorphone (Dilaudid), meperidine (Demerol), oxycodone (OxyContin), fentanyl, Dexedrine, Adderall, and Ritalin]
- The amount of the drug that was recovered.
- Whether the intent was to personally use the drug or to sell it. Possession of more of the drug that would normally be for personal use will be used as evidence that the intent was to distribute the drug. There is an assumption that the defendant possessed the drugs for sale if certain “thresholds” are met:
- 1 gram of heroin
- 9 grams of cocaine
- 4 grams or 50 milliliters of PCP.
- 9 grams of methamphetamine, including methamphetamine in liquid suspension.
- 9 grams of amphetamine, including amphetamine in liquid suspension.
- 2 pounds of marijuana.
Kester Law Group provides you a vigorous defense. Prison sentences are long and fines are high. You need attorneys on your side who have experience and expertise in defending these charges. Call us any time 24/7 for a free consultation.
SEX CRIMES DEFENSE
Being charged with a sex crime is daunting. Defending yourself may seem hopeless and insurmountable. Call us and we will thoroughly investigate all the facts of the case and vigorously fight for your rights, your freedom and vindication. There are several different types of sex crimes charged in Arizona including, but not limited to:
- Sexual Assault (Rape)
- Sexual abuse
- Child Molestation
- Sexual Conduct with a Child
- Failure to register as a sex offender
Each charge has different elements the prosecutor must prove. The penalties for all sex crimes can be severe.
- Sexual assault / rape: 5 to 14 years
- Child pornography: 10 to 24 years
- Child molestation: 10 to 24 years (35 to life if child is under 12)
- Sexual conduct with a minor: 13 years to life
- Prostitution: 15 to 180 days
SEX OFFENDER REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS IN ARIZONA
If convicted of a sexual offense in Arizona, you may be required to register as a sex offender. Crimes like sexual abuse, child molestation and sexual exploitation of a minor require mandatory sex offender registration. Depending on your risk factor different people may be notified of your sex offender status.
Risk Level 1, is the lowest risk. Law enforcement may be notified of your sex offender status.
Risk Level 2, is a medium risk. Community organizations involved with children may be notified of your sex offender status.
Risk Level 3, law enforcement, community organizations and your neighbors may be notified of your sex offender status.
ASSAULT AND DOMESTIC VIOLENCE DEFENSE
- Assault: In Arizona it is a crime to “intentionally, knowingly or recklessly” cause a physical injury to another person. Charges may include but are not limited to:
- Domestic violence: It is considered domestic violence If the injury was allegedly caused by two people who are married, live together, are romantically involved or related in some way.
If charged or convicted of any of these offenses, you need the best possible defense attorney on your side.
GUN CRIME DEFENSE
Arizona gun laws are complex. Certain types of guns cannot be possessed by anyone and if a gun is used in the commission of another alleged crime, the penalties are exponentially increased.
If you have a medical marijuana card, under federal law users of medical marijuana are prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms and ammunition (even if they are otherwise able to legally own guns and ammunition).
If charged with a gun crime, you need our experienced defense attorneys to properly defend you and see to it that all your constitutional rights are protected.
VEHICULAR HOMICIDE DEFENSE
Arizona does not differentiate vehicular manslaughter from other types of manslaughter. Simply put, vehicular manslaughter is manslaughter that involves a vehicle. Manslaughter in Arizona is a Class 2 felony. If guilty, a person can spend 5 years in prison. If you have been charged with a vehicular crime, including manslaughter, you need an experienced former prosecutor and defense attorney on your side. Call Kester Law Group now at (480) 771-6000 or submit a contact form to get ahead of your legal issues.